Tuesday, April 3, 2012

one bohemian dream

artist statement during the opening of un reve de boheme - bidibidi's  one-woman arts exhibit, 1 april 2012 @ la huerta de rosario, sta. teresita, baao, camarines sur
another language of bidibidi's flowers


let me start this short message with a strong statement:  no to gmo!  bwahahaha!  
that is the farmer in me saying.  i am, and have long been involved with, and in a love-hate relationship with farming.  trying hard as i may, i pray that this relationship would stand the test of not only time, but also of the changing and almost always unpredictable weather.
agriculture has given me the beautiful setting that has contributed much to my rebirth as an artist.  in this place i named after my mother, Rosario, i have found the perfect setting to create and be a creature, to nurture and be nurtured.  procreate?  that is another story. bwahahaha!
so, going back to my strong statement, let me say that my agriculture is heavily anchored on my faith in The Force.  i believe in the perfectness of nature that has been created that i would not even want to swat a fly nor splank a buzzing mosquito in my ear.
but my art is definitely influenced and very evidently so, by my human-ness.  it is here that i play god - i create.  and the past year saw me creating a new hybrid of flowers and forests.  
while my agriculture champions the natural, the organic, my art advocates for the unexpected and the unusual.
it is hard to think of anything more innocently irresistible than a flower, new or familiar.  while an imagined one must surely bring a special quiver of excitement.
 
or so i thought, on a day in April last year, after receiving a most patient tutoring in the arts from one lovely person, when such a flower grew in my mind's eye and demanded to be painted.  
once begun, the process blossomed into an entire garden.  they bloomed all at once, as if to race with a short summer, and they have been my source of pleasurable communication.  
what better way to say 'beware' or 'someone loves you', than with a poem hidden in the heart of my flower?


for you are the one who awoke my spirit. . .
you are the one who gave me the colours.
thank you and ilysm!  ♥ ♥ ♥

No comments: