Thursday, October 6, 2011

a random act of kindness


just a short account of a wonderful experience yesterday.

i was on a bus from the DA office.  the bus was full, well, except for a lone empty seat at the very end.  imagine how i was trying to keep my poise and my balance at the same time, walking the bus aisle, when the bus lurched forward, as if making it a perfect timing to make me wish i had my own car!!! and am not shouting. bwahahaha!

somehow, i reached the seat, whew! with no bumps and bruises.  i had to catch my breath, tho!  it was the longest bus aisle trek i ever had!  and for every step i took, i was cursing that mad driver!  and he has to stop at every single person standing by the hiway, even when all the seats were taken already.  so, the aisle started to be filled with passengers, too, all eager to go home.

i was already resigned to ending a good day with this annoying and dismal experience, when two young men seated just in front of me, stood up and offered their seats to two standing passengers.  that surely caught my attention.  not that they were loud, but  the rarity of what i was hearing made my eyes look up in disbelief.  such random act of kindness was rare!  at least in buses like the one i was on, yesterday.

so i looked to see who the two fine young men were, and found out, i do not know them.  ( i was of course hoping, they were members of my estudiantinas, or my 4h club, or one of my f.a.r.m. scholars).  so, i keenly observed and didnt know that i had the biggest smile on, that caught the attention of one of the two young men, now standing just beside me.  he smiled back.

when the passengers they gave up their seats for, got off at anayan, they took their seats back.  after a short distance, the bus then reached the bula junction and of course, the driver stopped and let more passengers in.  lo and behold, the two offered their seats again.  and it went on for more passengers.  the two young men didn't really qualify who they were offering their seats to, they were doing it so randomly, and it was amazing to watch and observe.

i couldn't keep myself from taking pics of them.  my seatmate (who i suppose is a teacher, she got on the bus by the deped area), was surprised and asked me why i was doing that.  i told her i was always on the lookout for random acts of kindness and would like to write an account of my experience.

to make this yesterday experience complete, one of the two young men got off the bus in buluang, and the other in san nicolas.  my seatmate (now, also interested in the subject of my observation), said:  "oh, they are from baao."  i was actually beaming with pride.

random acts of kindness are a means by which we make a deliberate attempt to brighten another person's day by doing something thoughtful, nice, and caring for them.  kindness is a way of showing others that they count and that even in the face of hostility and selfishness, we are making a stand for kindness.


thank you, two fine young men!  you make life good!  bwahahaha! 

No comments: