Friday, March 13, 2009

a stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.

i was on the bus. i had been looking forward to going home! and i was so excited. i didn’t mind that i have to take the “not lazy boy” bus. it was the best feeling to have, that of going home – where i belong.

i was sitting on seat no. 8 – my fave. and downing the last morsel of the empanada that my sis gave me before she left – herself going home.

though it seemed some people around me assumed i was asleep, i was actually deep in my thoughts and my mind was aglee that in a matter of a few hours, i will be back on my fave spot at home and do my fave thing. . .button.



while sitting there in my thoughts, a young lady took the seat just across the bus aisle from me and was asking the driver on how to get to the place where people whale-watch. it was not my nosey me, it was, i guess, my pleasant memory of being treated nice as a stranger in a strange land, that prompted me to join the conversation. i saw in the lady a potential friend.

i gave her my card, my number, and even drew a road map to my house. she wrote some notes and i asked her to let me check her notes, just in case something was missed, nothing was. before sleeping, i told her, i will wake her up so she could see my house when i get off the bus in the morning. we slept the whole trip through. until i reached my place and had to get off, i gently shook her to wake up and tried to tell her: i’m home. sleepily she said ok, and went back to sleep. tired.

that evening, after whale-watching, she was in my home, she re-found me. i was happy that she came out of the adventure whole and so happy. it is not everyday that one can swim with the whales.



she spent the night in the next room, and after we spent hours talking and getting to know each other, we finally gave in to sleep.





the next day was spent with her, ‘living’ my life. she went with me to the hearing at the court (i complained about some abusive local government officials), and she was so amazed how our justice system takes things so easily, the defense having asked for a postponement because the lawyer wasn’t feeling well. she was telling me, she is so excited that she has experienced and seen what it was like to be inside our justice hall. was even asking me: what tourist gets a chance to see the Philippine courts?

brought her to the CWC, and that was another surprise for her. she being the sporty type and does all physical sports, water boarding was like play for her, but not being pulled by a cable! back home a boat pulls you on the water, she said. well, i smugly told her, “not in CamSur” we do things differently here. (hehehe)









lunch was at La Huerta. was she so appreciative! she savored every taste she could identify in the food that Virgie served us: the garlic, the onions, the lemon grass, the mango, the pineapple, the taro, the beans, the okra. . .especially the mango (her favorite) and the okra (she hasn’t seen one before). she hasn’t even seen a fresh mango. so, even the color of it is a marvel.



we went back to the Villa to plan and set her next trip. i made all the calls to all the bus companies and made reservations for her. after we have made certain that she will reach Banawe Rice Terraces the next day, we relaxed (we, being, i felt, i was included in her adventure – Philippine style).





i then treated her to a nice dinner in Naga, and was she feeling so special! she was all smiles and just like in lunch, she was savoring every thing in the meal. i was so fascinated.



we went home tired, but we didn’t want to sleep, it was painful to think tomorrow might be the last time we see each other. so we talked and talked and talked, while i make my F.A.R.M. bracelets. . .until our eyes could no longer hold it, we succumbed.

the morning was a rush, we have to catch a Philtranco bus in Iriga City. we took the padyak to the jeep terminal and took the jeep to the bus terminal (three modes of transportation in just so short a distance) but it was a welcome experience for her.

at the terminal, i asked her to try our pili, which she instantly loved.
then the bus was there, it, being almost empty, i asked if i could have my ride back to Baao on it, the driver agreed. while we were waiting for the bus to finally make its course to Manila, a vendor was selling ‘putong takbab’ (a fave) and asked her to try. she loved it. She ended up with: mangoes, papayas, pili, putong takbab in her backpack. and she was all smiles, telling me when and where she will eat what!
on my ride with her to Baao, she told me: nobody would treat a stranger like you did! I bade her good bye and she was off, bringing a smile in each of our hearts, confident that the future holds a time that we will, again, meet. maybe not on a bus, who knows, maybe on a cart to Kilimanjaro.



my experience with a stranger (now my friend, Michelle), taught me that strangers are potential friends. and it left me hopeful! when two culture share, the world has a chance.



seeing people as friends,
even strangers,
allows us to care for others the way we should
and allows us to learn along with each other.

No comments: