Monday, March 16, 2009

kurt joebert barrameda barandon - gone too soon

i met kurt joebert three years ago,
he was just fresh from grade 6 at ibyang’s rlc.
i was in my fourth year directing and managing the estudiantinas de la soledad de baao,
then, it was a mere group of about 40 young and eager musicians,
or shall i say, music enthusiasts.
more appropriately, estudiantinas,
as they are called) donate their musical geniuses or otherwise,
for ina, during the good friday night procession.


2006 - kurt (in blue, on the left) practicing with oliver and other estudiantinas

kurt was small for his age,
and i was even doubting if he would last the whole length we have to walk,
or finish the procession which goes around the baao poblacion,
while playing the banduria.
i am a doubter, no doubt.
but he did! with flying colors!


2008 - kurt (in green, front row, second from left) with the strings section of the group

high school brought him to a national science high school in partido,
i have always been prompted by how good he was doing in school.
(i love hearing about my estudiantinas, especially regarding academic excellence, as part of my daily ‘sermon’ to them when we meet for practice, is how to be a good student, and a good citizen of the earth.)


2008 - kurt (2nd row, 2nd from right) with the Estudiantinas, performing @ St. Bartholomew Parish Church


2008 - during the Good Friday Soledad procession

there was a time when his father was knocking at my door to borrow a banduria which he will use in one of his performances at his school.
i don’t normally lend out my musical instruments,
but a number of people called me to vouch for him.
i really didn’t need their assurance, i had total confidence on kurt.

this year, the estudiantinas practiced early.
we held a concert for a cause, and it was successful – a sold out event.
kurt was one of the few that i included in my short list of members that i would need to perform during the concert,
but he couldn’t make it, as he would only come home to baao, to his parents, during the weekends.
but i was assured by his mom he would join this year’s soledad.

just last thursday, melony, my usec, went to their place and confirmed with his mom, that he would be joining us for practice that weekend.

but we could only plan and wish,
The Force had better plans for him.
on the same day, he passed away. he is gone.



i was shocked, i couldn’t control tears running down my cheeks.
he is too young to be gone.
i couldn’t believe it.
i had to gather my thoughts and muster all the faith i can,
not to question His will.
but i do question –

WHY?

no answer seem bold enough to speak, i leave it at that.
i can only accept his fate.

now, i feel sorrow,
i am sad. . .
because i have lost a son.
i may not be a mother in the normal meaning of the word,
but i declare motherhood over my estudiantinas,
despite, maybe, smiles or raised eyebrows?



i was at the wake last night,
i cried. . .
and mourned. . .

i will miss kurt.
i grieve.
let me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am Jerry, Kurt's high school teacher in three different subjects--English II, Public Speaking, and Journalism. He was a good student, was very kind, respectful, and very promising. I couldn't believe it too. I wish we knew, but no one did, or if others knew he would be gone, they were too selfish to share it with us. Too bad, we were not told. We could have done something else.

Anyway, I am happy to read something about him on the net. My golly, he seems here. I hope all is well now.

Anonymous said...

We will surely miss Kurt.

Just a request, can you remove the pics in his wake? I'm sure he didn't want to be seen in this way.

Bernadette said...

To Jerry Noveno, thank you for reading this blog and letting me know you have known Kurt.

To Anonymous, thank you, too, for taking time to read MY blog. I would appreciate your request, though, if you will let me know who you are.

diana said...

hi.tnx for your write up. i do really love and miss kurt. he's my nephew.

he was a very good kid.

diana said...

hi.i'm diana.kurt's aunt.thanks for your write up.this is my first time i browsed the net(about him).it' s hard to accept but i have to.
i do really love kurt.
he is happy now.

Patalipat said...

Hi. My name is Zazza Simbulan.
I was his classmate for 3 consecutive years during high school. Im in college now.

I just came across with this. I actually searched for it, having the guts now. I just miss him. And I can't still believe he is gone. It was like as if he never left.He is sometimes in my dreams, probably visiting me.:) I loved him sooo much as my brother. I miss our kulitans and asarans.We always host programs together. Oh well. I know he is happy with the Lord now. I am sure of it. He will always be with us. I'll always be praying for him. :)